International Activities of the Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Center
The Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Center carries out international cooperation in weather, climate, hydrology and water resources and related environmental issues.
International activities of UHMC are performed in the following areas:
- Ukraine's participation in the activities of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO);
- Participation in the implementation of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
Ukraine is a member of the World Meteorological Organization since 1948. WMO is an intergovernmental organization comprising 187 member states (states and territories). WMO is an authoritative body of the UN system on the state and dynamics of the Earth's atmosphere issues, its interaction with the oceans, climate and allocation of water resources, which is formed as a result. WMO coordinates the activities of members of the observations and exchange of information on weather, climate and water resources in accordance with internationally agreed standards, research work in national, international and global scales and training of the professional staff on internationally recognized level. WMO also contributes to the development of services aimed at improving the welfare and safety of certain groups of people, countries and all mankind.
Mykola Kulbida, director of the Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Center is the Permanent Representative of Ukraine with WMO.
Within WMO Ukraine participates in:
- the work of WMO technical commissions (Commission for major systems, Commission for instruments and methods of observation, Commission on Atmospheric Sciences, Commission for Aeronautical Meteorology, Agricultural Meteorology Commission, Commission on hydrology, climatology Commission, Commission for Marine Meteorology);
- the execution of the basic research programs in the framework of the WMO World Weather Service, World Climate Programme, Programme for Atmospheric and Environment Research, the usage of Meteorology Programme, Hydrology and Water Resources Programmes, Programmes of Technical Cooperation;
- the preparation of reports, memos, information materials, filling out WMO questionnaires;
- international conferences, symposia, workshops, training events, etc.;
- the WMO voluntary cooperation program (VCP) (Ukraine receives upon request technical assistance which is used for updating hydrometeorological modern measuring equipment for meteorological observations, technical means of transmission and processing of meteorological data, processing software and generalization of perennial observable data. access to new satellite technologies to improve weather forecasting and timely warning of dangerous meteorological phenomena and natural disasters).
- the work of the WMO Constitutional bodies and other important events of WMO - Congresses (every 4 years), sessions of regional associations (every 2 years).
The International Cooperation Department is the division of the Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Center which is empowered to deal with its international activities. Since its creation in October 2007 (before it was the sector of international cooperation) the Department is headed by Ruslan Reviakin.
The International Cooperation Department ensures the activities of the Permanent Representative of Ukraine with WMO, organizes and facilitates the implementation of international activities of departments and subordinate organizations of UHMC within WMO international multilateral and bilateral agreements, etc. in the field of meteorology, international cooperation through the exchange of experience with the national hydrometeorological services of WMO members, introduction of new methods, techniques and technologies of meteorological observations, forecasting, processing, transmitting, and so on, which meet international standards.